Monday, May 28, 2012

Hiking "The Crack" in Killarney Provincial Park

Last weekend we had the opportunity to join some friends of ours on their trip to up to Killarney Provincial Park.  While a weekend out camping never really needs justification, we actually made the trip out so that we could do some hiking in the area and condition our legs for uphill hiking.

We decided to hike up to the "The Crack" a ridge  found along a section of the longer 7-10 day LaChoche Silhouette Trail.  This particular trail was only 4km to the ridge (8km round trip) and was fairly level for  just over the first half the trek.  At around the 2.5km mark the elevation began to increased 164m over the next 1.5km to the ridge.

Towards the end we were scrambling over the exposed quartzite which was extremely fun and gratifying.

A lot of the hikes we've been going on these past weeks have been to condition our legs and learn lessons for a pretty big trip we have coming up, and I needed to know how it felt to have the camera out for an extended hike.  Basically I'll want to have a DSLR camera but have no idea how I'm going to carry it.  This time around I had it around my neck and I think I did a pretty good job, having out the entire way until we started to ascend, but that point I put it away as it was swinging too much and became a distraction.  After that I left it in my pack until we took a scenery break and I could pull it out, pop the lens on and shoot of few pics.

One thing that I under prepared for what how much water I figured we'd needed.  I planned for 1.5L per person over 4-5 hours, but the day was so warm and sun so bright that we ended up going through most of that water just getting to the Crack.  Even now as I'm writing this I'm questioning what I was thinking, because we should have been drinking at least twice that.

All-in-all it was a good time and we learned a few lessons to take away.  With the trip coming up in the next few weeks we're scrambling to get everything prepared but I'd like to take the time to get at least another big hike in.

No comments:

Post a Comment