Friday, September 23, 2011

Reflection: 5 Days with Mors Kochanski

It's been a week since learning from one of the masters of Bushcraft, and each day I find myself reflecting on the experience and running to my notebook to draw some diagram or write down some tip or technique that I neglected to take down at them time.

The thing about being around Mors, is that no matter if it's sitting around a campfire or hiking into the field, he always he some nugget of wisdom to pass on.  It can be overwhelming, and for someone like myself who's only a few paces into my learning journey there's a lot to take in.  I only spent 5 days and there's only so much that can be passed on, or even absorbed in that timeframe.  Yes, I left knowing a little bit more and improving on a number of skills, but I think the most important things I left with were the longer lasting lessons.

  1. The importance of structured instruction
    Since I've started this journey I've done most of my learning comfortably, at my own pace, using resources that I could access on my own.  This meant books, DVDs, websites, forums and of course YouTube.  I've always known that self study could only take me so far and that I'd need to learn directly from a more experienced instructor, but I've always put it off. 
          - I'll wait until I can do X, then I won't feel like an idiot trying to learn Y. 
          - I'll get more out of it if I go in knowing more, so I can ask better questions
          - Some other half-hearted excuse
    The truth is, I learned more in those 5 days than I could learn in a year on my own...and it's important to note that.  Practicing a skill or building something, is different that watching it performed in front of you, which is different than watching it in a video, which is different than reading about it in a book.  Yes, they're all valid methods of learning, but they work best in conjunction with each other...not independently.

  2. The importance of being around like minded individuals
    This is one area I had no idea how much would impact me.  Discussing and exchanging ideas with people on forums is great, but it can't replace the camaraderie built by actually being on there.  One piece of awesomeness was Caleb Musgrave of Canadian Bushcraft picking various wild edibles and handing them to me to eat as we walked.  Educational AND delicious!

  3. Trying out new gear
    Being around likeminded people also means being able to try out other people's gear and ask their opinions on them.  I tried out a Gransfors Bruks axe, and even managed to convince Caleb to let me handle the prototype for the new Brothers of Bushcraft Fieldcraft knife being developed by TOPS; an impressive knife, one I think I might have to add to my collection once it goes into production.

  4. The importance of being challenged
    The act of attending this course took me out of my comfort zone and put me on the spot.  I was surrounded my individuals who had years more experience, and much more dirt time that I have.  This made me a little uncomfortable since I'm relatively new, but it also gave me to opportunity to learn from many people, each with their own expertise and philosophies.  Yeah I was there to learn from Mors, but I also gained a lot by talking to and being instructed by all of these knowledgeable people.

Coming away from this experience I made a few friends, and learned more than just bushcraft.

No comments:

Post a Comment