Tuesday, September 14, 2010

So what did you learn this time?


"...because you always learn something new"

Those words were inquired to me at the end of the trip last weekend. It's true, I mean I do like evaluate how certain sets up worked, or what pieces of gear I needed or didn't use. Of course there are always lessons to be learned too, based on what I did or didn't do right or could be improved on for next time...I mean, it's a constant evolution and the learning process never ends...I just never realized how predictable it was for me to express the lessons I took away each time.

The question was genuine though, so I can take solace in the fact that my passion is being supported by those around me.

So what did I learn?
  1. A kit with tools you need is no good if it's hanging on a tree in base camp instead of in your canoe when you realize you need something from it (I admit I should have known better)

  2. A 3mil garbage bag is fine for an emergency shelter, but it's time to invest in a light weight tarp.

  3. Get a proper poncho. This will be the last time I tear up a cheap poncho and have to repair it with duct tape!

  4. A properly built back wall on your fire pit makes all the difference when you want to save on wood and stay warm efficiently.
There are more, but listing them all really doesn't prove anything. The point I'm trying to convey is that it's important that you evaluate where you are. It might seem silly, but are you better now than you were 6 months ago? Have you improve or are you stagnating? Think about it, and be honest with yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment