Monday, May 10, 2010

Goodbye puppy friend.


Friday I got a call from my girlfriend, and clearly something was wrong by the sound of her voice. She had received news from her eldest sister that their family dog Indy was at the vet, and that he wouldn't last the weekend. This news wasn't a total shock as Indy was old...but he was a fighter. In the past 2 years he's battled tumours, parasites and everything else that comes with old age like arthritis and deafness...so we knew what this call meant; it was time for Indy to go to sleep, never to wake up again. I rushed out the door to meet her so we could go see him one last time, a luxury I am honoured to have had.

I won't go into the details about what went on because it was an emotional rollar coaster for me, and I'm not ashamed to say that I cried for him. He wasn't even my dog, but I can say that he was a good friend of mine. I only got to know Indy the last 3-4 years of his life, and he definitely left his mark on me...in fact I even went on my first "real" camping trip with Indy.

a silent guardian, a watchful protector

Having Indy around showed me first hand, how powerful the companionship with a good dog is. I've always loved dogs, but lacked that bond first hand. I'll miss him always checking in on us to make sure we're still safe and protecting us when he thought we were in danger.

Thanks for being my friend Indy.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for posting. I'm touched that Indy has had a profound impact on your life in such a short time. We are glad that you also had a chance to say goodbye. We've been missing him every waking moment and just hope that he is enjoying the campsite in the sky. And if there is indeed a puppy-heaven, it better have a lake for him to swim in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm definitely glad I had the chance to know him.

    It must be hard for you guys to wake up everyday and not see him, or not have him greet you when you come home.

    ReplyDelete