Saturday, April 24, 2010

Arrowheads and broken axes...

** UPDATE: To see the first post in the Axe Restoration Project click HERE **


Went to a flea market today and scored two great finds for under $10! A broken rusty axe head ($5), and a flint arrow head ($2).

The axe head will be a side project, cleaning up the rust and re-profiling the grind. I'll have to find a sturdy hardwood to carve a handle out of as well, so this will be fun. I think I'll make it about the same length as a small forest axe, because of the balance of portability and leverage.

The flint arrowhead...well that's going into a future flint+steel fire kit that I'll now devote some time to building. I've already tried sparking it off one of my carbon steel knives, and it works brilliantly.

A pretty good find for a day that promised to be mostly uneventful when I first woke up.

1 comment:

  1. NICE!
    I always start my day wondering if I'll find any sharp or flammable objects. lol.

    Seroiusly tho, your projects sound fun.
    ~kax

    ReplyDelete