Monday, August 17, 2009

Yarrow Insect Repellent

This is yarrow,


I've searched all summer for this plant in local fields, ravines, hiking trails, and nature parks. Why? Because a tincture of yarrow applied externally is supposed to be a more effective mosquito repellent than 100% deet. The problem is...I've just started learning about plants, local or otherwise. So when I saw this:


I over zealously picked as much as I could fit into a bottle and immersed it in a 100-proof grain alcohol to make my tincture. Luckily during my research I was warned of many Yarrow look-a-likes, such as the extremely deadly poison hemlock, which made me very cautious. So cautious that after I got home with my alcohol soaked leaves in a bottle, that I did some more research. Turns out I had picked "Queen Anne's Lace" or Wild Carrot. Apparently an honest newbie mistake, but at least I had the good sense to confirm what I had was actually what I thought I had.

After coincidentally stumbling over a large patch of Yarrow this past weekend,
I finally have a full bottle of a brewing tincture that should be ready in time for my canoe trip at the end of the month.

A good lesson learned.

For those of you who have more botanical sense than I do, and are interested in trying a yarrow based insect repellent the method of making it is as simple as making a tea using the flowers or immersing the flowers and leaves in alcohol for 2 weeks to a month to make a tincture.

At this point it can simply be sprayed on, but I find that since it is water soluble i will wash off if you get wet. A solution to this is to take a cue from Dave Canterbury and evaporate the tincture in olive oil and then put the essential oil into your spray bottle.

No comments:

Post a Comment