Sunday, August 9, 2009

The Pathfinder Pocket Fishing Kit

Dave Canterbury has a video up about a pocket fishing kit he uses made from a drill bit tube with line wrapped around it and fishing tackle stored inside. It's a variation on hobo style can fishing, that's meant to be a little more permanent and a little more self contained.


In a more recent video, his friend shows him a version he made himself using and PVC pipe, an end cap and a plug. I decided this was the type I'd make, but a little more robust.

I was able to get all the components I needed to build the fishing kit over the weekend. Actual construction of it took less time than I thought it would. It was a matter of sawing the ABS pipe to size, cementing the end cap, and hammering in the plug. I also drilled a hole in the threaded end cap so I could thread a piece of 550 cord through to use as a wrist sling. The final product is shown below.


A complete list of what is included in the kit:

  • 1.25" ABS pipe container used for casting and holding tackle /w 550 cord sling
  • 5ft Orange electrical tape for marking drop lines
  • 8lbs test line wrapped around casing
  • 4 floaters, varying sizes
  • Variety of jigs and hooks
  • Weights/sinkers
  • Extra 8lbs test wrapped around 2 nails (used for drop lines)
  • Zip-ties (multitude of uses for these!)


Sadly I haven't yet had the change to go out and catch anything with it yet, since I didn't pick up an fishing license this year. I should get one soon, just to play with this.

5 comments:

  1. I love this fishing kit. I made myself one after watching a few you tube videos. It works. It's compact and very handy. I give it a thumbs up. :) May teach some little kids I know how to fish with it. Cheers.
    -Bas
    www.BasAndLokes.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks great i have a large tube 4 or 5 inches in damaret and it some times gets stuck, have u had any probs with this kind of thing

    ReplyDelete
  3. a 4"-5" diameter tube seems quite thick..I've used a 1 1/4" tube and have not had those problems.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How do you all cast out the line, and reel it in. I'm really wanting to make one of these?

    ReplyDelete